One of our favorite toys cannot be found in a toy store. Nope, you’re going to have to go to the grocery store for this one. I’m talking about plastic cups! We love playing with plastic cups so much that we buy them in bulk for hours (yes hours) of fun. Here are 5 Ways to Play with Plastic Cups.
Plastic cups are one of the perfect toys for classroom or home use. They are inexpensive, fairly durable and lend themselves to so many learning opportunities.
CHECK OUT THESE 5 WAYS TO PLAY WITH PLASTIC CUPS!
1. Explore subtraction by creating a pyramid. This is one of my children’s favorite things to do with plastic cups. Have them start with a certain number of cups and place each cup upside down. Then subtract one number to make the next level of cups. Keep doing this until you reach one cup at the top. This could be a solo or group project.
2. Use plastic cups to create patterns. Cups are a perfect tactile tool to explore patterns. Children can start with a simple ABAB pattern such as one cup down, one cup up. The more familiar children are with pattern making the more complex pattens they can create.
3. Create a HUGE cup wall. This one is pure fun! Give the children the challenge of using all the cups to make a wall. We used about 240 plastic cups.
4. Create tall towers. How many cups can be stacked on top of each other before they fall down? There are many ways to stack cups. Children can create pyramids or create towers using the pattern one cup upside down, one cup right side up. Was one way stronger than the other?
5. Knock those cups down! You know how much babies and toddlers love to knock down little buildings? Guess what? Big kids get a kick out of it too. Build some quick towers and then enjoy the giggle fest of knocking them down. Great stress reducer! Seriously, if you have never jumped through a wall of plastic cups you are missing out.