I never met a child that didn’t love the sight of bubbles. My children love blowing their own bubbles, but what they really love is when I turn on our bubble machine and our whole yard becomes a magical land of bubbles. I’m always looking for ways to combine learning activities with gross motor activities. Kids need to get their bodies moving as much as possible. Here are 5 Math and Literacy Activities with Bubbles.
If you don’t own a bubble machine I highly recommend purchasing one. They are inexpensive and provide hours of fun! We love this one as well as this bubble maker too. We’ve tried many kinds of liquid bubble solutions and find this bubble liquid works best. You could, of course, blow the bubbles yourself, but you will never be able to get the amount of bubbles you can get with a bubble machine.
Alright now that we have the right materials…
TIME FOR 5 MATH AND LITERACY ACTIVITIES WITH BUBBLES!
1. Practice the alphabet. Sing the alphabet song while popping one letter of the alphabet for each bubble. This easy game combines alphabet recognition, 1 to 1 correspondence and gross motor coordination.
2. Name recognition. Pop your name. Have each child pop the letters of her name. If the child has not memorized her name you could have name cards close by for support.
3. Practice counting to 10. Become a super hero! Pretend you are saving the world from the evil bubbles by popping ten. Count out loud the 10 bubbles as you pop.
4. Body popping bubbles. Explore body parts, direction following and auditory processing with this fun game. Get the bubble maker going and fill the air with bubbles. Next call out a body part and tell the children they can only pop the bubbles with that body part. Get ready for the giggles!
5. Stomp out the bubbles! I love watching my children attempt to lift their legs high enough to stomp on the bubbles. You can practice counting backwards from 10 by having children start with the number 1o in their heads and then stomp each bubble until they get to zero.
Stay connected. Subscribe to Homegrown Friends and never miss a post!